Saturday 3 July 2010

Circular No 452


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 3 July 2010 No.452
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Here I present to you emails on the controversial take over of the refectory St.Bede´s Hall by old time employees of the monastery. 
I also would like to inform you that there is a blog page, where all the Circulars are ready to be read with all the photos included.
Remember to send me a copy of the comments that you write so that they  may be published in the Circular.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Top of the Mount‏
From: Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)
Sent: Thu 7/15/10 10:58 PM 
Hello Shaun, 
We had problems getting to use the name, but now that is o.k. to do, that is what I last heard. 
Some old boys wanted permission to try one or two ideas, yes we had some good ideas for the space, but because of the present tenants that was a problem, we wanted to help in the restoration of the school building, which we understand is still in the church hands,
We cannot even have an office up there due to all this confusion. 
I believe the church made some mistakes, and it was too late to ask for help, we did offer to do a project on the mount to help, the local chapter was taking care of this, they were supposed to be in contact with the Abbot,
We had people promise to get back to us, and we were going to see how we can help, this was a year ago,
These are people we call our brothers, but have been treated like distant relatives that live far away. 
I am just upset, that some people was just wasting our time, these people were suppose to be in charge, and do represent us all. 
It’s a joke, and with replies, like you know how it is in Trinidad, is just not good enough.
We don't want to own anything, but to try to restore and fix it, before it all starts falling down. 
Shaun I must add, all that we were trying to do, was for the benefit of those who live on the island, most of the guys who live outside, don't really care about those things,
we have already established our own international Club, but the local chapter has chosen to remain separated from us, maybe this is how it's meant to be, they tell us nothing.
This is what is so upsetting, I am sorry for there are so many good brothers in Trinidad really trying to make a difference, but because of the local chapter, they just walk away.
This whole situation is still under review, it’s so easy to give up on it all, but we will seek the best way to handle this or end it for good. 
The body of this Club, is already international, so whatever happens, it will not change, what we already have, The Club. 
Shaun, don't worry I am also confused about this situation; it’s not logical and looks like a lost battle.  
Thank you for your email on this, it’s our history, it’s good to know the truth.
Best regards Glen. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Re: Top of the Mount
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:47:09 -0400 
Glen, Nigel,
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
How does the landlord/tenant transactions of Mt. St. Benedict become a concern of the Old Boys?
The same Mt. St. Benedict who doesn't want us to use the name Abbey School in our Association's name?
We have no claim on their rights to do whatever they want to do.
It is not our property, only our history.
We have no other rights bestowed on us.
Yes, we try and help out where ever we can.
But have they ever asked for help with this or anything else?

As far as I know, there has been a Gallery of sorts up in the refectory for many years.
But not a lot of traffic is going up there to see paintings. Poor location.
The school building is a drug rehab centre.
Not run by priests either. (as far as I know).
The biggest problem the Mount has is aging priests and no new blood to replace them.
Small budget to maintain aging buildings. Bush everywhere.
The old short cuts down to the field are overgrown. 
So some upstarts have secured the refectory to promote events.
Well that's entrepreneurial of them.
But their marketing efforts look poor and "iffy".
I doubt they'll be in business for long. 
Is it that the Boys had some better ideas for use of the space?
I'm trying to understand the reason for the upsettedness.
Peace
Shaun 
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:49:51 -0400 
What a mess!  
I have heard NADA from the appointed administrators of the "Abbey School Old Boys' Association" for over one year now.
It seems that everyone is asleep at the wheel.
How come we have not been kept abreast of these developments?
What is the "Management" doing at all?
Nigel P. Boos 
 -----------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: RE: Top of the Mount
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:02:09 -0400
Glen,
Don't be so alarmed, this has been going on for a very long time.
When I was in TNT for the reunion in 2008 I found out the Mount was having problems with their tenant who had leased the refectory and had a set up call "Top Of The Mount"
As a matter of fact the day of the White Stone climb there was a function going on and they wanted to charge us to park up by the refectory or we had to move our cars.
Glen don't get spooled up, the reality of all this is the Catholic church got into some business with some shady characters and now it seems that our beloved Abbey facilities as we know them, are being brokered or stolen.
Wake up we are a historical part of that facility,
Most of the priest who impacted our lives have passed away or are so old that they vaguely remember some of us.
There is no voice at the Mount to advocate for the "olde Boys" but rest assured the priest will accept any funds and monies or pro bono legal services to support this effort.
PEACE Skippy. 
-----Original Message---------------------------------------
From: Glen Mckoy [mailto:mckoy43glen@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:31
Subject: FW: Top of the Mount 
Thank you Shaun, 
I am not having a good day since reading this email, it makes me sick, did anyone know this was happening, are we complete idiots that anyone can take us for a ride,
What about our local chapter, our eyes and ears not one word, our brothers down there, probably never saw it coming, they caught us sleeping I guess,
Well we know now, we will have to study same, another impossible mission, this one is too close to the bone,
Sorry for being so emotional, but we must have our best comment and debate on this,
I am very upset about this.
Best regards
Glen McKoy.    
--------------------------------------------.
On Jul 15, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Glen Mckoy wrote: 
Hello Shaun and George,
I got this from Michael, but could not open it, can you guys check it out, if you can and give me some feedback,
I have a funny feeling about this one, 
Thank you Glen.  
--------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:13:30 +0000 
Glen, 
Have you seen this?
Regards,
Michael A. Laughlin 
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
FW: Top of the Mount‏
From: Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)
Sent: Thu 7/15/10 12:21 PM 
Thank you Skippy, 
I heard that we were having some problems with the tenants, but I did not know this would be the outcome, have we lost it for good ?, 
Well if it’s all legal, what a lost, a few other brothers are checking on same, it’s not quite over yet,
Thank you for the cold facts again, sorry Skippy
I never had a clue, that these people had so much control.
Later my brother,  
Glen. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Re: Top of the Mount / How to get rid of them‏
From: Rafael Echeverría (reglaw@gmail.com)
Sent: Sat 7/17/10 2:03 PM 
On my part ... may GOD Bless you all abundantly ! ...
No matter what religion you profess or even if you are an atheist. 
CheChe 
----------------------------------------------------------.
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM,
azizul mohammed <salo00011@hotmail.com> wrote: 
Hello Don ,
I have never met u but I have read all ur comments U are a gentleman ,
u are even fighting for people in different countries and rights for all and getting arrested I will be there for u anytime.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:42:40 -0400
Subject: Top of the Mount / How to get rid of them 
Hi Fellows,
Lighten up. The sun is shining, the rainy season has begun, and the birds are on the wing.
We're alive, and that is more than can be said for those who went before us. 
When we die, that's it: dust to dust. 
Until then, I'll watch your backs.
I love hearing from all of you, no matter what the bullshit.
Don
(the militant atheist) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
On 7/17/2010 8:25 AM, Glen Mckoy wrote:  
Dear Aziz and John,
I must say, I was treated well on the mount, I made many friends,
I got along with all the monks; I did not have no problems up there,
I got along well with others then and now, I have no bitterness,
I have a positive outlook in life, I don't judge others,
I am catholic, do you want me to deny it, I have a fear of the Muslim faith to a certain extent. 
Aziz, you know me, my good friend was Gerald Khan, we did not speak of each other faiths, and we did not try to convert each other,
but I will tell you one thing, we had honour, we would die for each other,
John have you ever shared such a friendship ?
Aziz, you have been thru abuse for your faith many times, do you think I want to share any emails with the word Muslim with you, No. 
I respect and trust you. 
You don't sent me emails of your feelings about Christians do you, and your faith that's your business.
I can go on and on, on this subject, but I will end it here,
I am sorry if I offended you gentlemen, and for that reason you will never hear from me again.
Good bye
Glen.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
09LK1830RCO, Raymond Comarmond, working at the yogurt factory.
59LK0001EXTRA, Fillout form for extra serving.
09JL0001JLE, John Lindsay
10UN0001TOPMOUNT, Brochure that was included with the emails
10UN0002TOPMOUNT, page two of the brochure.




No comments:

Post a Comment