Saturday 23 October 2010

Circular No 468





Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 23 of October 2010 No.468
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is one of the contributions of Kazim Abasali, nice report, hope you enjoy it. 
---------------------------------------------------------------
In my last Circular I ran the comments by Kazim Abasali who is our WEB manager.
I have just remembered that maybe he should insert the latest Circular in his WEB page so that the ALUMNI can look and be able to read the last Circular that has been sent as soon as it is sent.
Naturally this Circular would be replaced as soon as a new one is published.
This way there would be no competition with the Blog that Don is keeping updated, because the WEB would only keep one Circular outstanding, and if any ALUMNI would like to go to old ones, then there would be a LINK to Don´s Blog.
Any comments on the idea??? 
Also I am including a couple of emails as an example of what happens when we do not control the email addresses in our FW.
Please check before sending !
---------------------------------------------------------------
3 oct 2010
Cornel de Freitas 
Hi 'Edward Lloyd':
I was not aware that my correspondence was reaching you, because I do not have your email address, so therefore, I could not I have forwarded anything to 'your' E-mail address.
Nevertheless, I hope that I have not in any way offended you, and sincerely apologise if I inadvertently did.
Someone in the 'chain' must have 'forwarded' my correspondence on to you.
I did attend The Abbey School, Mount St. Benedict during the years as is stated below, and look to all the 'young men' that attended before and after, as 'brothers'.
With my Blessings to you and yours,
Respectfully,
Cornel A. de Freitas. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:40:18 +0100
Subject: Recent correspondence MSB 
Glen, Cornel
I don't know you two gentlemen personally and I find that recently communications of a rather terse nature have been coming to my in box due to my MSB connection.
I don't have the time to read all this rubbish and ask that you two gentlemen remove my name from your address book.
Kindest regards
Ed Lloyd 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: RE: Kitty
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:10:27 -0400 
Dear Glen.
Have all those Ex Mount Students (after my time) ever heard of the fabulous word "simplicity'?
I personally am so fed up of seeing time pass, on the subject of Miss Kitty, as time really is of the essence when you have reached such a wonderful age.
Has the Association given her the money collected?
Have we sent her a Blessed Card of Praise and thanks for her contributions to those she taught and served?
Had the Abbot been contacted as to what would be the most appropriate gift for someone at that very tender age?
Has someone even asked Kitty herself what would she like most?
Time is of the essence and action is needed.
I am not fully aware as to what has been done, and the phraseology of these two letters are so tied up in creativity, that downright simplicity is obviously overpowered by verbosity. (my spelling may be terrible).
All I know is that the Good Lord, may well act before we do, and then what?
I know Kitty, I love Kitty; but for God's sake let us bring this whole matter to some sort of closure before it is too late.
My humble view of this situation.
God bless us all.
Scroongie  
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: RE: Kitty
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:37:59 +0000 
My Dear Brothers,
The past few years we have walked on the hard road, this has all happened since the great year, 2000. 
The return and reunion of the brothers, from near and far.    
A few have gone the extra mile and dedicated a great portion of their personal time, in their lives to the realm of this Club, the Alumni.   
In saying this, I am not asking Nigel or Ladislao, to take this on also, but to oversee it as other brothers pick up the torch, for they have already done so much, which we will be addressing in time.  
Ladislao went to Trinidad, he opened up a road to better communications, and contacts, in good faith, which we will have to call upon if we decide, to continue in a grand finale, for this great teacher, and grand lady, "Miss Kitty".
We can do only so much from afar, this leg of the project must be completed, from whence it came, Trinidad. 
We would like to get the blessings, and co-operation from all concerning this request, this Lady is in her 90's she gives us so much grace, and sustaining something that still lives in the spirit of the Realm, The Club. 
Now, should we attempt to undergo this impossible mission, (as every other mission, we have taken on so far).
We will require the best of our circles that circles the Castle, on the Isle. of Trini, under the sun.  
In association of all, a selection of brothers should be called upon, to represent us, on this Historical Event. 
If we require a lawyer, our local chapter may be of assistance, I believe we need to know, what the exact requirements are, to fulfil this request, successfully by the grace of God, what must be, will be.
As history is being written onto the Stones, we all have our parts to play, if we can, in some intrinsic way.
I must thank all my brothers, who started this quest for a meaning, in whatever we were going to do, always with the respect of the entire Alumni, something to be proud about. 
Long live the Mount.
This is only a suggestion of a few brothers, it’s only in their imagination, but it’s an idea, let's talk about it. 
Best Regards,
Glen McKoy.   
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:33:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Kitty
Hi Guys !  
I have to admit that you guys touched my heart man !!! ....  when you do things like this.
I think it is very noble of you guys to pursue this blessing for our dear Kitty ... who more than her deserves to be granted any award of any kind to make her feel happy???
Even though she is so humble that she would not even pretend it. 
I am moved knowing that Glen Evelyn did his due diligence in trying to find information regarding this process. 
I guess all I can do is contribute with ideas ... so here it goes: 
1 - This awards and granted by the Vatican (right?) The Pope's office? .... by intercession of the Archdioceses ... in this case the Archdioceses of Trinidad & Tobago.   
2 - The person /candidate to receive the award must be "sponsored" ... in this case Kitty has all the sponsors she needs ...she has the Abbot, the whole Monks Congregation of Mt. St. Benedict, The Alumni of The Abbey School, testimonies of her acts of Christian heroism are abundant and meritorious ..... so ... what is there to do ??? 
3 - The Abbot has the FIRST MOVE ... WE NEED TO TALK TO THE ABBOT .. WRITE HIM A LETTER ... RING A BELL .. I DON'T KNOW .. WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO DO ... LET IT BE DONE !!!! ... and we will get the rock moving ...   
Let me know what you think ... has any initiative of this kind been initiated in any way? Am I "out of date" ? ...  
CheChe .... Rafa  
----------------------------------------------============= 
2010/3/6 Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Hello Nigel, 
I was referring to this email we got awhile back, from Glen Evelyn, this was at the bottom of the last email, hope you see what I meant, thank you for asking,
Best regards 
Glen.  
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:49:51 -0800
It is currently given for distinguished service to the church by lay people and clergy.[3]
It is the highest medal that can be awarded to the laity by the Papacy.[4]
I was told by the Catholic Church in Florida that we can get this easily for Miss Marcus.
Let’s try Glen 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell, CBE QC [mailto:idmitch@anguillanet.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:16 PM
Subject: OK Abbey Old Boys Online Forum is up, please join and post 
Hi John,
Kazim Absali started a website that we should all visit at least once: http://www.msbaatt.com/
It has been pretty dormant for some time; I suspect since so few people visit it or responded to Kazim's cris de coeur.
I also started a Google Groups site several years ago for people to comment on photographs on Ladislao's Circulars: http://groups.google.com/group/abbey-school-mount-st-benedict?lnk  (my password is 112mitch)
But, not much came of it.
Hope yours lasts longer!
Don 
----------------------------------------------------------.
On 7/17/2010 11:16 AM, John A Gioannetti wrote:  
Domain: http://abbeyoldboys.freeforums.org (MUST click link above first)
As soon as the following people join, I will grant them moderator rights
Nigel
Don
Jon
CheChe
Ladislao 
My role will be purely Technical
Shaun is also very Tech Savy, so I'll give him my Creator Rights, so he can do anything
I have never done an online forums before,
I just have about 5 min experience, so please be patient with me on technical issues.
John 
PS. Pass this link to other Old Boys as its open to all former inmates sorry Freudian Slip students of Abbey/MSB, The Priest, Teachers etc. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
American Boys
From: Nigel P. Boos nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
 Dear Elspeth and Richard,
Great idea.
Let's try.
I'm sending this msg to the OB's from the period 1945-1950.
We'll see what the seine hauls in.
All you Old OB's: Richard O'Connor is posing you a question.
Can anyone help to throw some light on the matter for us? 
What was the family name of Tom, Dick and Harry, three American boys who studied at the Mount while their dad was stationed at Ft. Reid in Wallerfield? (I have photographs of a Tom Turner, but no mention of a Richard or Harold Turner.
There was also another American boy, named Peter Tarr, whose father donated a lot of equipment from the U.S. base in Chaguaramas, as I understand it, after WWII, when the soldiers were returning to the States.) 
I would also appreciate if you could answer these two additional questions for me: 
Does anyone remember whether Harold La Borde was ever a student at MSB? (Harold and his wife, Kwailan became famous as a result of their circumnavigation of the planet a number of years ago, for which, I believe, he was awarded the Trinity Cross. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_La_Borde
Does anyone remember whether Leo De Gale was ever a student at the Mount? (He later became Governor General of Grenada, but has since died.) R.I.P. 
Nigel P. Boos 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 1-Oct-09, at 9:02 PM, Elspeth O'Connor wrote: 
Nigel,
I was wondering that now your subscription is so far and wide whether you could ask if anyone knows the names of the three American Boys who were at Mount St. Benedict with Richard in the early years. 
All Richard can remember is that they were called Tom, Dick (Richard) and Harry and their father was at the American Base in Wallerfield and he, the father, took pictures of the College from an aeroplane, which were among the first to be taken and published of the College. 
Now with Facebook, Twitter etc. (none of which I understand or am a member of) you may be able to find out some history about the Mount if you can discover their surnames. 
Cheers. 
Elspeth 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
57IF0005PLAY, UNKNOWN and Isaias Farcheg in a theatre play
60NB0101DDV, Daniel de Verteuil
09SC0012TFELDO, Terence Ferreira and Leslie Dórnelas
10LK3399LANDSLIDE, Another view of the land slide octo.2010




No comments:

Post a Comment