Saturday 9 October 2010

Circular No 466



Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 9 of October 2010 No.466
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Here is contact information for Dennis du Boulay´s classmates, make an effort and contact him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel P. Boos  
Fantastic!
Thank you, Janice.
I appreciate your help.
Ladislao, please note the contact information for Denis du Boulay.
Nigel  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-06-14, at 8:42 PM, Janice Potter wrote: 
Denis' address is:  
2406 Palmland Blvd.,
New Iberia,
LA 70560
Tel:  337-367-0882
337-367-0882  
Love
Janice 
-------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel P. Boos [mailto:nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca]
Sent: Monday June 14 2010 7:50 PM 
Thanks, Janice.
Obviously, I've been incorrectly informed. My apology.
But I'm glad that you straightened me out on the Crompton - Arthur situation.
I'll get it right one day.
Would you happen to know Denis' telephone number?
Love.
Nigel  
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-06-14, at 2:49 PM, Janice Potter wrote: 
Nigel –
Never heard of a Crompton Du Boulay!  
Denis DuBoulay is Arthur’s younger brother who went to Mt. St. Benedict with him but he has no email!  
He lives in Louisiana.  
Arthur has an older brother, George, who never went to Mount and who lives in the Philippines .
Love and best wishes to you and Jackie,
Janice
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Monday June 14 2010 1:10 PM 
First class, Janice.
Thank you. I hadn't seen this before.
By the way, I am building a data Base of past students at Mt. St. Benedict .
Is it possible that you might know the email addresses of Crompton and / or Dennis du Boulay, brothers of Arthur?
If so, would you mind letting me have them?
I'd like to keep them in the loop, so to speak.  
If you'd prefer to check with them first, to see whether they would mind sharing their email addresses, please do so.
With love, and best wishes to you and yours.
Nigel P. Boos 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Cornel de Freitas
22 Sep 2010  
Dear Nigel,
Many thanks, for being the kind and considerate guy that you are.
I knew Miss Marcus was already at the Abbey School when I attended and I do also remember her quite well, as I am sure every single boy that was a 'Mount Boy' remembers her.
You could not avoid that even if you wanted to, she was always part of our lives.
It was always a 'nice thing' to walk by her whenever you did. 
You were always greeted with a warm smile, and a little question, which question would always remind you, that she was very 'aware' of you.
(She 'knows' about you - when you've been good, when you've been naughty or nice ... as though she had the inside track.) 
That would always give you that feeling of 'belonging'.
I am sorry I went on a bit in my letter/comments, but I think what I was trying to do was revisit and bring back to mind some of the images that we all had and were so very familiar with, but -kind of- don't think about anymore?
But whenever I do, it's a pleasant memory, and you wish you could go back into your past and just be there for a few 'remembering' moments.
Some time ago I saw some photographs of the path we used to take (almost) every day.
(I believe it was in one of the circulars???) 
The path that led behind the guest house and down to the sports field.
Going up and down this path every day was quite a 'workout' in itself!
I could not believe my eyes when I saw what had happened to it over the years, because of lack of use, it was completely over-grown!!! 
To me it was a horrible thing to see that it was permitted to fall in such horrible state! 
I am speaking specifically of the path behind the Guest House!
I remember that I actually used to run down all the way to the Sports Field.  (I'd like to remind you that running down 'that' hill was taking a risk), and on the way back up in the afternoon, believe it or not, we would have races running up, to see who would get to the top first!  ...Just a silly thing that young boys would do....
.... We all forgot about all of "those little things"...
But, that was incredible feat! ... as I now that I think of it again.
Like when it was mango season and we would sneak down to the last corner of the road, the one that drove straight up to that 'Entrance Arch' of the school. 
We would go down climb up into those trees and "raid" those 'Julie' mango trees. 
That was considered being "Out of Bounds!" 
That was like breaking a 'commandment of "The Abbey School" rules.
I do not know if you ever had the distinguished pleasure of knowing Fr. Eugene, and him introducing you to any one of his many "Pessy" punishing sticks. 
Boy did that hurt when you got a caning.
He must have lined up about a dozen boys that night for a caning.
Do you know what this "priest" the "Dean of Discipline" did that afternoon?
He called a few boys down to the corner, where the cars did that last 360 degree turn to enter the school grounds, and had them pick up all of the "washi cons" – 
I do not know what the correct spelling is, but it translates to 'tennis shoes', and take them up to his Office. 
That afternoon at baths, he announced on the grounds loudspeaker system that any boy that was missing his tennis shoes could pick them up at his office.
Man, you had to be the stupidest kid on the block to go and claim those shoes, because if you did, he had you!
You were out of bounds - and - stealing mangoes!!!
But they were really good mangoes too, real juicy!
--- and boys will be boys - even when they put their 'ass' in jeopardy - literally!!!
Then the countless times I would pass by that building on the way to the sports field, just before you reach the 'Guest House' (I can't remember the name of it) (REST HOUSE) but I would go in there and use the extra money(US$) my dad would send me, and treat yourself and your friends.
Those very indulging 'large chocolate ice-cream' - for fifteen cents! 
You suddenly had a lot of friends too...
Dinner mints with those cute little sayings in the wrapper. 
One of my favourites, the peanut brittle/butter nut candies that would flake and melt in your mouth, paradise two coloured candy.
Every afternoon lining up to get your sandwich and a bottle of 'pop' that came in such a variety of colours.
Do they still have the 'English' currency?   '
One' cent; Xtra Large 'Penny'; twelve cents; shilling etc? 
I remember the "Six pence had a specific shape - am I correct?
Nigel the good times far, far outweigh the bad times.
I never knew that father Bernard gave out 'licks' (caning) and I did not know he became the Abbot once.
I do remember serving mass with the then Abbot in his little chapel. 
I believe his name was 'van Duin' (?), please correct me if I am wrong. 
I used to have to set my alarm watch to get up really early, get dressed and walk over to the monastery - in the dark - the sun would not be up yet. 
I was an 'acolyte' (spelling may be wrong, again please correct me). 
I became the 'Sacristan' in charge of the 'Sacristy' at the school Chapel.
I was responsible every morning to set up the vestments for the next day and prepare the gifts, and make sure the altar was prepared. 
I would often go and "steal" flowers to put on the altar for special feast days so the Altar looked special, and make sure the "Eternal flame" was always burning. 
There were times when Fr. Bernard or someone would come into the study hall to let me know to go and fix /replenish the eternal lamp, that it was about to go out.
Once again, I am sorry about the long letter.
Miss Marcus's passing conjured up a lot of dormant memories.
I'll stop here, I know you are a very busy man, my apologies.
May GOD Grant her eternal rest.
Take care of yourself, and say "Hi" to Jackie for me.
Forever your Loyal friend and Brother,
Cornel. 
Do you any one that has a "copy" of our school crest?  I never got to get my school ring, paid for it, never got it.
I read the articles about coming up with a "Ring", I believe it's a "Fantastic" idea, I cannot imagine any 'Old Boy' that wouldn't want to have one, even if to hand down as a "Family heirloom"
Thanks for your continued patience.
Cornel A. de Freitas 
(The school crest was sent out in one of the early Circulars and is used by Don in his blog, ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Re: HOMILY GIVEN BY ABBOT JOHN PEREIRA at the Funeral Mass of Kitty Marcus on Friday 17 September 2010
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:26:53 -0400 
Dear Fr. Abbot,  
Thank you for sending me a copy of the homily to be given this morning at the funeral of our dear Kitty Marcus.
I had no idea that she had been at the Mount since 1938.
That's 5 years before I was even born!
It's also a revelation to me that her mother is also buried at the Monastery's Cemetery.
I wonder, did her father, if he were alive at the time, also migrate / escape from Austria?
Whatever happened to him? 
Kitty seems to have lost touch with her entire family, as a result of the War, and the fact that her mother was buried at the Mount must have provided her with some consolation and support day by day, as she passed by her grave. 
Kitty has left us now, but she has also left us an example of courage and conviction and of service which those of us who were privileged to have met her will never forget. 
May she rest in peace.
Nigel P. Boos 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-09-17, at 1:20 AM, John Pereira wrote: 
Dear Nigel,
See attached for the homily given at the Funeral Mass of Kitty Marcus on Friday 17 September 2010 at the Mount.
Fr Abbot 
------------------------------------------------------------https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifhttps://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
Glen Mckoy
22 Sep  
Dear Cornel, 
I would like to share this with the Club, and I really enjoy reading your stories, because they are before my time, keep up the good work my brother, the Club thanks you my caring brother,  
Best regards 
Glen...
--------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel P. Boos [mailto:nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:33 AM 
Renwick Harlan Villafana, known as “Renny”, a most affable man, recently passed away at age 55.
A funeral service was held at Jesus Elam Revival Assembly International in Barataria, followed by cremation at the St James Crematorium.
He was born in Aruba and brought to Trinidad at age five by his parents, from which time Renny learned to accept challenges as he was flung head first into a new language, new culture and new world, all of which he avidly embraced.  
Knowing only Papiamento, the language of the Netherlands Antilles and a smattering of Dutch, learning English was his first challenge.
At age 12 Renny became a boarder at the Abbey School run by the Dutch priests, facing another challenge of separation from his parents and younger brother.
He surmounted this, excelled in sports, honed his leadership skills, and was proud to be an Abbey boy.
With a strong Roman Catholic background, Renny served as an acolyte in his St James parish church for many years.  
On leaving school, Renny threw himself into the family’s medical supply business with the same passion that he attacked everything else in his life.
And when with his wife they started the home care centre, the Villafana reputation for excellence, quality and service continued to grow throughout the hospitals and nursing homes in Trinidad and Tobago.  
It was important to Renny to continue to search for ways to be on the cutting edge of the health care field.
He had the knack for finding anything, and it was common knowledge that if you could not find a product anywhere, check at Villafana’s. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
57IF0008EFAGRP, Elias Farcheg and Group
59NB0014CHURCH, a calendar view of the main church
10LK3393LKEGRP, During my last visit in October, Anand Rampersadsingh, Winston Ramsahai, Jimmy Samaroo and Alexander Garth.
09SC0010NBOABH, Nigel Boos and Apo Bhopa




No comments:

Post a Comment