Saturday 20 November 2010

Circular No 472





Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 20 of November 2010 No.472
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 11:45 PM
Subject: New Book on Mt. St. Benedict 
Hey, you guys,
As you must know, Mt. St. Benedict is suffering today, largely through the shortage of vocations, which ultimately means a shortage of personnel required to make the monastery work.
As a result, it appears to me that we can individually offer a little help to the monks as they struggle through each day.
A new book covering the history of Mt. St. Benedict has been published and is available for sale at the monastery.
Perhaps each of us can consider purchasing one or two of these books, for ourselves or as presents for others, as a way to support the efforts of the monks.
I have no idea what the price of the book is.
Anyone wishing to buy one can order it directly through the Monastery or perhaps, through Fr. Cuthbert ( cuthpax@yahoo.co.uk )
Over to you.
Nigel 
---------------------------------------------------------------.
calypso1@clear.net.nz23 ene  
Hi Laszlo,
Happy New Year! 
I found an old photo I had of a class group - I think it would have been taken in the mid-sixties. 
I can remember the names of quite a few of the guys but I'm afraid I've forgotten the others! 
Some I remember the surnames of and I will put surnames where I can. 
I am fourth from left in the back row. 
From left to right: 
Back row:  Douglas Watson, Jan Koonraadt,  Unknown, Derek Philipps, Unknown, Paul Quesnel, ? Ortega (surname), Unknown, Michael Farah, Errol Ng Hem, Unknown (nickname Pinhead), Unknown 
Middle Row:  ? Allum (surname), Unknown, ? Millett (surname), ? Skeete (surname), Cecil Camacho, ? Gurley (surname), Unknown 
Front row:  Peter Attong, Allan Herrera, Richard(?) Thomas, Trevor Davis, Wally Gillezeau, Richard Knox, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown. 
Maybe someone else could help to remember the names of the 'unknowns'. 
All the best! 
Regards, 
Derek 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Temporary Closure of MSB Seminary; New Deacons Ordained
...3 nov 2010
From: Nigel P. Boos  
Thanks for this video.
You might recall that these were the 20 new Permanent Deacons for whom the MSB Old Boys had provided dalmatics, in honour of their ordinations.
I'm proud of the fact that we were involved. Praise God.
Wonderful.
Nigel 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-11-06, at 10:30 PM, QNOISE@aol.com wrote: 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...22 oct 2010
From: Nigel P. Boos  
Hello, Kazim.
You are a gentleman. I'm sure we all appreciate the wonderful effort you have been / are making to develop a website for our MSB friends, to help us to keep in touch with one another.
You're doing a heck of a job.  
But I know too, how this must impinge on your time and personal cash flow.
These things aren't free, and money does not come easily. 
So, now that this opportunity has arisen, and John Gerharde has expressed interest in sending ads to your site/s, it seems only fair to me that you should benefit in some way from any revenues which might accrue to you, even as a way to defray some of your expenses.
None of us OB's have any claims to your website.
This is all your initiative, and you should accept whatever remuneration comes from it.
At least, that's my view. 
Perhaps you might like to get the opinion of others - say, Ladislao, Don, or might I suggest, Jon Golding in England. 
As Mr. Gerharde has said, you can try it for a time and see how it goes.
And you can delete any ads you find offencive or otherwise unwanted. 
Good luck with this idea, and more power to you.
Nigel P. Boos 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-10-21, at 11:04 PM, KAZIM ABASALI wrote: 
Hi Nigel,
Thank you for forwarding this to me.
As you may realise the cost of hosting the website does cost money with renewals every year for the domain names as well as the hosting fee.
And with the amount of work I do for various causes, the bill does come up significantly.
I personally would love to embrace this offer. 
Can you share your thoughts with me?
Is it the reason you sent the email to me in the first place a suggestion on your part that I can take up this offer?
If this is this is your feeling, can you let me know Nigel?
I do appreciate you very much.
Or is it something I can use on other websites to gain an income to offset my expenses?
I do not think it will be much in terms of payment, since the website has such a very small following compared to what these companies are talking about.
However, every bit helps my cause.
Incidentally, I was having a conversation with my other Alumni secretary - Holy Cross in Arima about opening the their website to ads from members to help defray some of my expenses.
These are some of my views.
Nigel kindly let me know what you think.
I am open to suggestions.
Also, I want to make absolutely sure whatever I do is something that brings dignity to our work, and at the same time continues to support the tremendous work you, Ladislao and Don are doing. 
Take care my friend, blessings to you and your precious family.......
Kazim 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2010-10-19, at 12:58 PM, John Gerharde wrote: 
Greetings,
I'd like to contact the person responsible for the development of abbeyschool2008circulars.blogspot.com.
Have you ever thought that you should be making more money from your website's traffic? You can!
See, most ad networks share only a small percentage of the amount they charge their advertisers.
To make matters worse, they have also colluded with the IRS, so that they can deduct a portion of YOUR hard earned revenue in taxes.
Consider supplementing your income by placing our ads on your website and we guarantee the following: 
1. You will receive 70% of the amount collected from the advertisers.
2. We charge advertisers $0.10 per click MINIMUM to ensure our publishers are happy.
3. No Tax Deductions - You decide what you want to report to the IRS.
4. 100% Fill Rate - We guarantee your ad space is sold.
5. You can run our ads alongside other network or display our ads instead of Public Service Ads. 
This program doesn't cost you anything of course; we only get a small portion of the amount collected from the advertisers.
So give it a try now - you are not obligated to commit, so you can remove our ads at any time if you choose to do so.
For more information please visit http://adrevenuestream.com.
Thanks,
John Gerharde 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Elizabeth Ince
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:23:51 AM 
Dear Ladislao:
Have sent a photocopy of your reply and my recount to Maurice - he told me years ago he had absolutely no interest. 
Hope this will nudge him. 
(Sometimes making money is a full time affair, editor)
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Elizabeth Ince ...
Monday, February 4, 2008 8:52:16 PM 
Dear Ladislao:
Well the Passing Parade - Val's dear Mother at 88 and John Gordon Lang - about 76?
Gordon sometimes sat next to me at MSB class room - and at times, from memory, in the row immediately in front of me - my row was at the very back.
John Gordon was always mature beyond his years - always highly looked up to and respected by myself and his other fellow students. 
The various priests/school teachers had enormous respect for him. 
In 1991, he visited Barbados with his wife and came to the office to see me.
Best Wishes.    
CECIL INCE 
P.S.  I attended John's sister Kathleen Lang's funeral year before in Barbados.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
M.S.B. Start Date
Nigel P. Boos
Monday, February 18, 2008 3:41:28 PM 
Dear Cecil / Elizabeth,
Thank you for this confirmation of start date.
I'm passing this on to Ladislao and Don for their records and general historical notes.
Nigel Boos 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 18-Feb-08, at 2:26 PM, Elizabeth Ince wrote: 
Dear Nigel/Arthur:
Have located another MSB book commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of MSB - 1912-1972.
But the Abbey School was originally opened by the Monks of St. Benedict in January 1943.
Quoting from Page 77 " Because of its situation and also at the request of parents, it soon became a boarding school ................ began to attract pupils from other islands and South America besides those from Trinidad, who were always in the majority." 
CECIL INCE
15TH JANUARY 1948 - DECEMBER 1949 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Elizabeth Ince
Monday, May 18, 2009 5:44:10 PM 
Dear Nigel: 
Aubrey (George) is not a common Bajan surname - more Trinidad or Grenada and in any case I don't recall Barbados sending students to Trinidad as our schools were generally very high standard.
I have attempted to idetify 19 old boys.  
I entered MSB January 1948 through the kind intervention, Mr. Teddy Maingot (John's - 61) Father who pleaded with Father Leo - I was a day student from Arima - sat Senior Cambridge, December 1949 and managed along with J.G. Lang (17) to secure a First Grade. 
It was Gordon Lang's second try, my first try and the first day boy to gain a First Grade.
I was very proud and framed Certificate still hangs over my desk at home. 
Not having being a boarder, my overall knowledge of the student body was not as sound as it might have been otherwise. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
...6 oct 2010
From: Nigel P. Boos  
Dear Cecil,
Thank you for your wonderful and very informative letter.
I wish others would keep in touch as much as you do.
It'd make my job of keeping track of everyone a whole lot easier.
Hey, that was great that Lawrence and Scipio were able to get together with you recently.
Reminiscing about old times, old friends can be a lot of fun.
I have never met either of you fellas, but certainly, I know Kathleen Gibbon (wasn't she Roddy's daughter, sister to Mary and Ian? - maybe Lawrence will clarify for me.......) but it's still good to know we can "meet" one another via this marvellous electronic medium, isn't it?
I've added Lawrence's email address to the dB and he'll receive any notes from the rest of the OB's from now on.
Ladislao can retrieve his email address from this note, so he'll begin to get the Circulars soon.
Thanks again for the letter and for the photograph of you and Elizabeth on the bridge of the Oriana recently.
You both look great.
Keep on doing whatever you're doing. it's working.
Kindest regards.
Nigel Boos 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Noel Llanos nllanos@shaw.ca
24 Aug
Will you please delete my name from your e-mail list as previously requested.
Thank you
Noel Llanos 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.-
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
10CI0001CINWFE, Cecil Ince and wife
83SW0001SWE, Stephen Webster as appeared in O.A.S.I.S. No.8
83PP0001PPO, Phillip Pollonais as appeared in O.A.S.I.S. No.8
83AB0001ABRWFE, Anselm Brunton as appeared in O.A.S.I.S. No.8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment